I'm David Stroud, a graphic designer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. I've been helping a wide range of companies – from startups to multinational businesses – to develop unique brand identities and communicate clearly, both in print and online, for over 15 years.
I started coding my own websites back in the 1990s, studied Journalism at university and began writing a regular software review column for a computer magazine, before finishing my degree and going on to launch a new national computer magazine (Amiga Active) in the late 90s.
My interest in magazines and page layout led me to working in print design, branding and advertising. I went on to work in graphic design (both web and print) for a multinational insurance company, and started taking on various freelance branding, print design, commercial photography and web design projects for smaller companies and individual business owners.
At all stages, my focus is on understanding people's goals, and helping them to communicate their ideas clearly, consistently and thoughtfully.
I also have a growing interest in mobile app development using Apple's modern development language, Swift.
My empathetic approach and broad experience helps me consider both how a message is delivered to the end user (from user interface design and usability considerations, to clear copywriting and communication) and how this intended delivery impacts on the design and development process (for example, considering the capabilities of various technologies such as the differences between web vs. native mobile apps).
I'm always looking to get involved in collaborative design projects which make a positive difference, so please get in touch if you'd like to talk...
|HTML5||CSS3||SASS / LESS|
Past projects with small independent teams and large multinational companies have included:
- Designing and implementing branding from initial concepts to rollout across multiple channels (online, digital media, print media, signage, promotional materials)
- Designing and developing responsive websites for technology, media, education, service delivery companies and startups
- Managing a multinational insurance company’s branding, web design, advertising, marketing and communications, as well as building and implementing a bespoke company intranet and public-facing website
- Launching and editing a national computing magazine
- ...and most recently, co-founding a coworking studio and growing a community of startups and small businesses, before moving to Edinburgh.
I’m always on the lookout for opportunities to develop brands and work on design projects with a positive impact. Know of something interesting? Please get in touch 🙂